1/12/2013

a reader's guide

 ________________________
secret missives written to a few friend overseas.who wishes the beauty of great philosophy. whose
splash waves are wonderous to behold . as language unfolds its seam. as the wits of delay and philosophy love.


--------------------------

finding  hard to follow,  show you a trick  learned  years  to   a     go: 






Read it aloud! it's as simple as that . The ideas will become more real as you hear and read them at the same time. True reading is a pedagogical skill! THere's a great novel by Italo Calvino If On A Winter's Night a Traveller Should... that describes wonderful moments of reading ....

I learned this  trick years back with a girlfriend. I was reading my way through Saint Genet , Sartre's massive tome about the former, and I had not found it easy. Well, I was out eating dinner with this lady, and she asked me about what I was reading, and I said it was beautiful. but difficult to read.  but then she said or I said,  let me read it to you... and I began to read it  right there and then to her while we sat in this restaurant called the Mazurka, an old Polish place, and ideas and connections that I had not been able to see before began to unfold and I could see them like I never had before . They were glimmerings before, but now they became clear ideas. And the weight of the writing, its pace and the gigantic majesty almost of its connections was more visible to me. Each book is written at a different rhythm, as I am sure you'd agree.
 And this barely scratches the surface of saying anything about Sartre's book. But to me it deems a whole area of study in philosophy: How we read, how we are read to , and how we absorb the ideas in the process; how are we taught, and what is the best manner to learn.
That is why the seminars of Deleuze  __ the oratory of his voice, and the pedagogical moment __ of its unfolding as he spoke ____were important and why it's important to hear him in them . Many are now on cd, or on sites in the web. and more and more of the films and videos of him are  popular.  Socrates always spoke aloud! I've used many of them as you might have noticed  in Rdeleuze and elsewhere.

Just one other thing, A/O is written at a very different pace than the book by Sartre, but it can still be read aloud, and I have done the same thing with it as others, and it's worked like magic. Reading aloud is the secret
of pedagogy! 

 So that's all for the moment, and have a good week of work.  Your last posts
are yet to be read by yours truly, but have not been forgotten.




does not this feel like love. or the knot of the reel to reel as in perhaps a platonic cave? who says what came before the previous from and which reader knows these things in the heart of her flesh?




___________ But as you know I learned to read with my ears hearing aloud these men the teacher of his lectures himself the mooring of the waters around crashing at his feet ... and


---------------------------------------